Optimizing gravel runways
Gravel Runway Dust Control and Stabilization
Eliminate dust, add strength, and reduce life-cycle costs by 50 percent with effective gravel runway stabilization
Gravel runways and dust are an unhealthy partnership and an unnecessary one given how easy it is to ensure maximum gravel runway dust control. From private airstrips to local airports to commercial multi-runway operations, an assist from Midwest is all it takes for effective gravel runway dust control and superior fines preservation.
The importance of gravel runway stabilization
Wherever gravel runways are untreated:
- Harmful dust impedes pilot vision, irritates the eyes and lungs of those on the ground
- Increases the need for aircraft and ground-vehicle maintenance
- Threatens both the environment and your compliance with regulatory standards
Treated by traditional dust control methods like water, a gravel runway’s lifecycle is shortened, its upkeep is more expensive and its safety is compromised.
Midwest's Gravel Runway Dust Control Program was established to mitigate and, where possible, eliminate these problems by improving gravel runway surface integrity through a process called Fines Preservation™.
We use proven, environmentally-safe products developed in our own lab to lock and bind surface aggregate fines together and prevent traffic from releasing them as dust. With Midwest’s Gravel Dust Control Runway Program in operation, costly gravel replacement will become a thing of the past.
Fines Preservation fast facts
- Reduces runway life cycle costs by an astounding 50 percent
- Raises CBR for pavement-like strength and a smooth long-lasting runway
- Reduces gravel spray and rolling resistance
- Reduces dust by 80 percent for up to four years
- Saves two to five cubic meters of fines at every takeoff
- Cuts runway lifecycle costs by approximately $40,000 a year
Featured Case Studies
Reworkable, active, environmentally certified Synthetic Organic Dust Control® with a resin binder system that capture fines and keeps them locked into the surface
Re-workable, active, environmentally certified Synthetic Organic Dust Control® with a polymeric binder system that captures fines and keeps them escaping as fugitive dust
At the forefront of creating custom-engineered soil stabilization solutions
Programs that maintain regulatory compliance mandates across multiple industries
The laboratory performs a wide breadth of soils testing, the key to success in stabilization