Coal Mitigation with Coal Car Topping Systems
Meet BNSF and Regulatory Requirements for Coal Dust Control
Where there is coal, there is coal dust, one of the biggest nuisances with which mines, railroads and utilities must cope – more so as changing environmental and railroad regulations mandate effective coal car topping. Coal dust is a health hazard; it damages equipment; and it creates an environmental hazard for which railroad and mine management will be held responsible.
If in-transit coal dust is a problem you face daily, it is a problem you don’t have to face at all. Midwest can bring you a turnkey three-pronged coal car topping solution, or any part of it you need: our Soil-Sement dust suppressant that has proven its performance excellence, a customizable car topping application system, and a local service network to ensure optimal system efficiency. Used together, Midwest’s Soil-Sement® Engineered Formula and CarTopping application equipment will bring you the following benefits and more.
- Penetrates into and seals coal surface to prevent coal dust from escaping
- Exhibits more strength than other polymers
- Does not crack or break up
- Protects coal from damaging external elements like wind, rain, snow, ice and ultraviolet rays
- Does not affect the BTU of coal and has no VOCs
- Reduces storage, shipping and product costs associated with higher-volume product use
Midwest’s Coal CarTopping System®
Our year-round, containerized, operator-friendly system will make it easier and safer to eliminate dust from your in-transit operations:
- Protects against freezing with a heated container
- Allows a clear view of coal cars from a heated, raised operator’s booth
- Adjusts to match the profile of coal in a railcar
- Durable enough to spray 24/7, 365 days a year
- Installs permanently
Soil-Sement® Engineered Formula
Soil-Sement Engineered Formula delivers something its competitors cannot: peace of mind. It has proven to be the most reliable and consistent dust-control sealant for coal in transport, which is why Midwest is one of less than a handful of approved BNSF vendors. Formulated with million-molecule nanotechnology to penetrate and seal coal to prevent dust from escaping, Soil-Sement has been tested and verified by Simpson Weather Associates Laboratory (for weatherability); BNSF (for corrosion, safety, and performance); and Southern Company (for burnability). It was also tested and certified by the California Air Resources Board, the US EPA, and the Canada Environmental Technology Verification programs.